1. When and where are the City Council meetings held?
City Council meetings are held the second and fourth Monday of every month unless otherwise cancelled. The City Council meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. at the City of Wharton, City Hall, 120 East Caney Street, Wharton, Texas 77488.
2. Can I address the City Council regarding any issue without being placed on the agenda?
Anyone can address the City Council during the Public Comments section. The City Council may be informed of your concern, issue, or notification but action cannot be taken on items addressed during Public Comments. Public Comments made by an individual are limited to three minutes per person.
3. How do I get an item placed on the agenda for City Council consideration or action?
Submit a letter to the City Manager’s office requesting to be placed on the agenda for the next City Council meeting. Include in the letter a description of the issue you would like to discuss and any information that may be pertinent to your subject that could be included in the City Council packet for review.
4. What is the deadline for submitting a request for an item to be placed on a City Council agenda?
The deadline for submitting a request for an item to be placed on the City Council agenda is at 12:00 Noon the Wednesday prior to the City Council meeting.
5. How do I report a streetlight out?
To report a streetlight that is out, contact the Public Works Department but remember to have the pole number of the streetlight that is out. The pole number is located on the street light pole approximately five to six feet from the ground and is a six-digit number.
6. How do I request an additional streetlight to be placed in a location along a City street?
Contact the Public Works Department and give the exact location of the where the desired streetlight may be placed. Most streetlights are placed approximately 300 feet apart. The request will be forwarded to the electric company for review. If the location meets the distance requirements, the streetlight should be installed.
7. What are the procedures for Open Records Request?
Complete a Public Information Records Form, which can be obtained from the City Secretary.
8. What is the cost for copies?
The charge for standard paper copies reproduced by means of an office machine operator or a computer printer is $0.10 per page or part of a page. Each side that has a printed image is considered a page.
VHS video cassette
Oversize paper copy (11X17, greenbar, bluebar)
9. When is a Solicitors Permit required?
A solicitors permit is required when any person goes from house to house or place to place or by telephone in the City of Wharton soliciting, selling or taking orders for or offering to sell or take orders for any goods, wares, merchandise, services, photographs, newspapers, magazines or subscriptions to newspapers or magazines.
10. What are the procedures for obtaining a Solicitors Permit?
Complete a Solicitors Permit Application form, which can be obtained from City Hall. A copy of the driver’s license must be submitted with the application. A background check will be conducted by the Wharton Police Department, which will take approximately 30 minutes per application. The Police Chief will approve or deny the application.
If the application is approved, the applicant shall obtain a $1,000 Bond and submit the original to the City of Wharton.
The fee for the Solicitors Permit is:
$55.00 for the first person
$20.00 for each additional person
The City Staff will issue the Registration Card for one year from date of issuance. Agricultural products, which shall not include meat, poultry, fish, shrimp or a similar products, the solicitor permit is: $25.00 - 60 days from date of issuance
11. Is an Animal License Required?
Yes, when any person owning, harboring or having custody of any animal over four months of age within the City limits, must obtain a license.This will not apply to the keeping of small caged birds or aquatic and amphibian animals solely as pets.
13. Must the license be worn?
Dogs and cats must wear identification tags or collars at all times when off the premises of the owners.
14. Is a duplicate license available?
An applicant may obtain a duplicate license upon payment of a replacement fee of $2.00.
15. How much notice is required for inspections?
24 hour notice, unless extreme circumstances.
16. Do existing structures have to be inspected prior to new occupancy?
Yes, a Fire Inspection is required.
17. What do you need a building permit for?
Any structural construction project.
18. What information is needed in order to obtain a building permit?
Complete drawing of the project, including the electrical plan and setback requirements.
19. Is a permit required for a fence?
No, unless the fence is greater than four (4) feet in height; however, location of property line must be established to avoid encroachment of neighboring property.
20. What are the setback requirements for City of Wharton?
Setbacks are a case-by-case situation; it is best to contact the Planning Department for requirements.
21. Is a permit required for a portable building?
Yes and setback requirements apply according to the size of the building.
22. How do I get a permit to place a mobile home on my lot?
You cannot place a mobile home on a private lot unless replacing an existing mobile home homestead.
23. Is a permit needed to move a structure?
24. Will construction debris be picked up at the curb on the regular collection day?
No. Construction debris placed at the curb will not be picked up on a regular collection day. However, it should be picked up on the bulky waste day. The customer will be charged for the disposal of construction debris placed at the curb.
25. What Flood Zone is my property in?
A flood map is provided in the Code Enforcement Department and the Planning Department for review.
26. What constitutes a "weedy lot" violation?
The height of weeds/grass shall not by greater than 10 inches.
27. Is your office closed for the noon hour?
No. The City Hall offices is open from Monday-Friday, 8-5, except City Holidays.
28. Does your City have Zoning?
29. Can I do my own electrical and/or plumbing work at my residence?
Yes, with proof of a homestead exemption and issuance of permit.
City of Wharton
120 East Caney Street
Wharton, Texas 77488
Phone: (979) 532-2491
Wharton Volunteer Fire Department
319 N. Fulton St.
Wharton, Texas 77488
(979) 532-4811 Ext 400
Wharton Police Department
1407 N Richmond Rd
Wharton, Texas 77488
Tim Barker., Mayor
Clifford Jackson, Councilmember Place 1
Steven Schneider, Councilmember Place 2
Terry Freese, Councilmember Place 3
Don Mueller, Councilmember Place 4
Russell Machann, Councilmember Place 5 - At-Large
Alice Heard-Roberts - Place 6 - At-Large
powered by ezTaskTitanium TM